One of the first tasks in hatha yoga for beginners is to learn how to properly build asanas. And it’s best to start with the foundation, that is, track the correct position of the legs. I put together the basic rules.
Nature has created bipedal people, and therefore the main body weight we support legs. From the point of view of the energetic aspect of yoga, the legs are our roots: only by taking root, firmly standing on the ground in the literal and figurative sense, can we confidently strive upward toward the divine.
The position of the pelvis relative to the spine and the position of the spine itself depend on the correct position and work of not only the feet, but also of all the muscles and joints of the legs. In turn, the proper functioning of internal organs and overall health depend on these factors.
Therefore, in the practice of hatha yoga for beginners, special attention is paid to the position of the legs. Of course, there are a great many asanas, and the position of the legs in them is different, but basic principles do exist.
1. In tadasan and other asanas with the position of “legs together”:
– connect your thumbs
– press your metatarsus to the floor, rest your heels on the floor, create the feeling that you are pushing with your feet from the floor
– do not fall on the outer and inner edges of the stop
– pull your knees up and not inward, and do not bend them so as not to cause joint injury –
– tighten the muscles of the thighs and hips inward-
– point the tailbone down and tighten the pelvis
© Dengis Bykovsky
2. In asanas with feet on the width of the pelvis or shoulders, the same rules must be followed as in the “feet together” position. In addition, the socks should be directed slightly inward so that the outer edges of the feet are parallel. This will provide maximum stability and relieve unnecessary stress from the lower back.
© Denis Bykovsky
3. The position of the legs in the inclines is slightly different. In these asanas, you need to give maximum weight to the front of the feet, press the metatarsals to the floor and unload the heels to gently stretch the back surface of the legs and ensure a good turn of the pelvis. The rest of the rules are the same.
4. In asanas of the Bridge type, among other rules, give the main body weight to your legs (in half-bridges – half the weight).
5. In all lunges:
– take such a wide step so that the knee of the front leg in a bent position does not extend beyond the toes of the foot, and the foot is fully pressed to the floor
– if you didn’t succeed in striding broadly the first time, move your foot forward and place your knee exactly above it-